Alice Lucey, Director of Care with Be Independent Home Care is reminding older people to take care in the current cold weather. Here are some of Alice’s key tips for during this cold snap:
- Keep Your House Warm: Keep your main living room between 18-21C and the rest of the house at a minimum of 16C. Use a hot-water bottle or electric blanket (but not both at the same time) to keep warm while you’re in bed. Check what type of electric blanket you have, some should not to be used all night.
- Wrap up warm: Several thin layers of clothes are better than one thick layer. Wear hats, gloves and scarves. If possible, stay inside during a cold period if you have heart or respiratory problems
- Keep active. Move around at least once an hour and don’t sit down for long periods of time.
- Avoid Falls: Reduce the potential for slipping on patches of ice or snow. Stay indoors during this icy spell. If you have to go out appropriate footwear is essential. Rubber soles provide better traction than either leather or plastic soles. Be careful getting into and out of the car. This is when many falls occurs. Stay on clear pathways or ones that have been treated with sand or salt
- Eat Well: Eat a variety of foods from the major food groups. Have regular hot drinks and at least one hot meal a day. Winter is the perfect season for porridge and gives you energy.
Be Independent HomeCare has been set up by a group of Irish nurses. They have carefully recruited, trained and closely manage a quality team of home carers who provide non-medical Homecare and Home Help Services throughout Dublin.
For further information please contact Be Independent Home Care on (01) 8283030 or www.beindependenthomecare.ie